Home Is Where The Art Is

If you are an artist, a lover of art then I hope that I can inspire you to do what you love.

Monday 15 October 2012

Painted Love by Soft Sell

Can you tell me what you would prefer? Ok, I am two years in as a gallery owner and I am convinced that other than a friendly 'Hello' people generally want to be left the hell alone when looking at the work in a gallery? What do you think? I think if people want a conversation they will initiate one. Am I wrong? Would I sell more art if I spoke more? I know that I ask these questions and that I am unlikely to get a response but I genuinely want to know what people think.
I think if people like the work enough to ask about it, I am happy to engage in conversation. This is just a Monday ponder as you do.
I do not believe in the hard sell. I want people to have the time and space to fall in love with a piece and come to the decision themselves that they can't live without it. Then I will happily relieve them of their cash.
It was busy again on Saturday, lots of textile folk staring intently at each and every stitch. No sales, but let's face it, it isn't just about the money. I love the fact that people have travelled considerable distances to come and see this exhibition to enjoy the craftspersonship (I may have just made that word up). It's just that craftsmanship seems a bit sexist.
Since I started writing this blog I have been offered a very interesting proposal. It would seem that I will be diversifying a little. Stepping into the field of curation/representation. I am going to do some homework to find out what I need to do. If this comes off it will be a really exciting side to running the gallery.
I have been doing my pipette drawings and quite a lot of people have seen them and so far the feedback has all been positive. You'll have to come to my exhibition if you want to see them.
So it is time to plug the next show you already know the current exhibition is worth seeing. Mark Lloyd is up next and I already know that it is going to be brilliant. I've seen the work.



No comments:

Post a Comment