Home Is Where The Art Is

If you are an artist, a lover of art then I hope that I can inspire you to do what you love.

Tuesday 5 November 2013

A Bit More About Fran Donovan - A Member of Group 7



 
Fran Donovan
The more carefully I consider how to define my idea of the landscape the more I am aware of the conflicts at work.  The enormity of what I see and the idea that the landscape stretches on forever has strong influences.  I keep returning to maintain the structure in my work which underlies the abstract surface.

The colours are drawn from my relationship with the outside world and my response begins once the colours have been decided.  With the experience of all that looks familiar yet not knowing what the “familiar” is, the shapes and colours are not the exact or perfect form but represent a oneness with the landscape.  I set to capture a mood evoking in the viewer a memory and response to past landscapes seen.

The following quotation from Thomas Traherne reflects my interest in the land and energy of the sea which is the subject of my works:

“You never enjoy the world aright, til the sea itself floweth in your veins, til you are clothed with the Heavens and crowned with the stars and perceive yourself to be the sole heir of the whole world.  Til your spirit filleth the whole world and the stars are your jewels; til you are intimately acquainted with that shady nothing out of which the whole world was made.”


No comments:

Post a Comment