If you know me you will know that I am a mellow laid back person. I am passionate about many things but mostly I am easy to deal with and I hope that all my customers/clients will agree.
Today I have had my buttons pressed and I have had at least two full on rants. As I am a professional I am going to keep you in the dark about who, how and why. Suffice to say my cool was lost. I do not bear grudges but I do have an elephantine memory and I am running a business.
I am always waxing lyrical about my fondness for lists today I am going to give you a 'Things Not To Do as A Gallery Owner Or A Human Being' list.
- Do not assume people that are smiling at you and agreeing with everything you say are actually being sincere.
- Do not get overly confident when up a step ladder because you know people are watching you. This will inevitably lead to a heart attack inducing wobble.
- Do not close the gallery for lunch just to get rid of people as they will notice you sneaking back within 10 minutes of you putting a sign up saying closed for an hour.
- Do not be too encouraging to anybody professing to be an artists. Draw your own conclusions as to why not.
- Do not give too much away for free as people will see it as the 'norm' and expect it every time.
- Do not rely on people being on time if you have a job to do for them. Expect them earlier and that way you'll always be ready.
- Do not give people false hope about their creative abilities. Remember the bad news, good news, bad news sandwich. There's a much coarser word for it, I'm being polite.
- Do not dismiss an 'out there' idea. If you don't ask you don't get and what's the worse that can happen?
- Do not admit to keeping dead things (not people) in the fridge. It freaks people out.
- Do not become a work bore when you work in a team of one. It is way too tedious.
That's enough for now. I have had the pleasure of meeting a new artist today, her name is Clarissa Galliano and you will be able to access her website via my website a bit later on today. Her work is great, right up my alley and I hope that her work will be selected to be exhibited at the PAW Christmas Exhibition.