Home Is Where The Art Is

If you are an artist, a lover of art then I hope that I can inspire you to do what you love.

Thursday 17 July 2014

Create Before It's Too Late!

What a great demonstration by Nicola Dennis on Saturday. I really want to have a go at silk painting myself as it is such a satisfying process. If you haven't seen this show yet then you definitely should try as it is beautiful. It has made the gallery feel so light and airy. It is full of the colours of summer.
It is also fascinating watching someone work i think that I will be doing some live demos in the gallery during the summer to get people a bit more involved in the whole process. What do you think? Would you like to see me draw my drippy birds? Or make a collagraph plate?

Nicola Dennis
I think somehow that I am conditioned to be in tune still with the end of the school year. That's 15+ years of conditioning  for you.
It is at this time of year you would generally look at what has gone before and then think about what worked and what might need to either be scrapped completely or at the very least reworked.

I have been doing that at the gallery as there are still a few wrinkles that I need to iron out. It will mean some very big changes but that is what makes life interesting isn't it?
Keep your eyes open for the start of the new 'gallery experience' in 2015.

If you have a plan to get creative this summer and need someone to 'jump start your art'. Then I might just have the solution. I am available for 1-2-1 lessons throughout the summer and into Autumn. But I am getting quite booked up so I do need to get people booked in as soon as possible.

I often have people visit the gallery and they say that they would love to learn a new skill but feel that they are past it or don't thin they'd be very good at it, or can't afford it. These are potential learners who have already put the barriers up to learning before they have even started.

The best time to learn anything is when you feel like learning it. Grasp that moment with both hands and go for it. It is amazing what can be achieved with very little. If you have always wanted to learn to draw, buy a sketchbook and some pencils and start drawing. Draw from life if you want your skills to grow and improve quickly.

Yes, it is hugely possible that you won't be the next Leonardo but how do you know what you are capable of until you try? The same goes for any art or craft. Some techniques are incredibly expensive to learn so start small. Don't think I want to make pots and go out and buy a kiln. Think what needs to come first? You will need to design your pot before you make it.

USE YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY! That is my next tip, they usual have quite a good collection of books about arts and crafts and what's more is that if they know exactly what you are looking for then they will help you to get access to it.

Youtube has so many 'how to' videos that you could virtually teach yourself how build a car should you want to. Access some of those to give a bit of practical input.

I am going to leave you with this quote by Picasso. I think it ams up perfectly the idea that I have been trying to communicate to you through my mini pep talk.

I hope that you have a creative summer! If you need any additional support/teaching you know where to find me.



No comments:

Post a Comment