Home Is Where The Art Is

If you are an artist, a lover of art then I hope that I can inspire you to do what you love.

Friday 4 July 2014

Help Me I Am Stuck!

Sound familiar? Well what happens a lot at the gallery is that people like to come in for a free tutorial. That's not so bad as I quite like to talk to people. If you know me then you know that is true.

Sharon James

The term 'artists block' seems too rear its ugly head with quite alarming regularity. I totally get it. When your actual life gets in the way of your creative one.
I think the first thing to understand is that in order to be creative you really need to have the headspace to think about it.

You are not alone! You have a day off and the intention of doing some art is at the forefront of your mind. Sounds good so far right?
So you sit down in front of your easel, sketchbook etc and wait for that creative spark that gets you working.

The spark that seems to be like trying to light a fire in the wind and rain with damp matches. I can almost hear the nods.

Well I have no magic cure, I'm sorry I wish I did because I would sell it by the tonne and be a millionaire by now.

I have looked online and tried to find some helpful hints and tips and the following link is pretty good. Just click on it and it will take you right there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/12/creative-block_n_4943997.html

Sharon James
I have written before about getting involved with some daily drawing challenges. The idea is so simple in concept. Basically, a theme is chosen at random every day and then you respond using your given discipline.

How does this unblock you?

Well having to think about what to draw, is the very start of the creative process. Drawing things that you don't normally unlocks numerous possibilities. Seeing the work of others on a daily basis and feeling part of a group and hugely beneficial.
One of those drawings might just trigger a new body of work. The truth is it is a way of getting going with no real pressure.

Sharon James
I have used the challenges (I have done 3 months worth now)
, to set myself personal challenges. I did one month solely on my iPad. I learned so much about the various apps and how to simplify my drawing. This month I will be using a variety of media that I either don't like or haven't really explored.

I have used my iPad drawings from last months challenge to illustrate this blog. If you would like to give it a go then here are the Facebook pages of two of the groups that I belong to. You don't have to submit everyday if you don't want to. I try to do most days. Although I am yet to do todays challenge 'Market'. Still thinking about it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/674798375903045/   This is called 31 Days of Drawing July

https://www.facebook.com/groups/770156319696450/  This is called Draw My Life Challenge

Take a look and if you are interested ask to join.

Have a productive weekend I most certainly will.


No comments:

Post a Comment