Home Is Where The Art Is

If you are an artist, a lover of art then I hope that I can inspire you to do what you love.

Saturday 25 June 2011

An App A Day


I have decided to write my blog now whilst I am still in the land of the remotely coherent. Today has been busy with a good mix of visitors and artists. It is always nice when artists come and introduce themselves to me and ask me about my own work. It is getting easier to talk about it the more often I do it.
It is nice to know that people appreciate the work that I am doing at the moment.
I am trying my hand at self portrait at the moment. It's hilarious, I am notoriously bad at portraiture. I usually just emphasize all the features on my face that I consider to be big. Hence, a really big nose in all of my self portraits.
I might put it on my blog one day. We'll have to see when it's finished.
I am starting to think that Apple should have me on the payroll. I am constantly singing the praises of my various geeky gadgets made by that particular company. I know that some of you will be owners of iPads and might also be artists. My new best app is called Art Rage. It was recommended to me by a friend (thanks Lesley) but it has only recently become available in England.
I think you all already know that I am a printmaker who dabbles with painting. This app allows me to explore oil painting in a way that I would never have had the courage to do on a canvas. Mostly because of lack of skill and fear of rubbish outcomes. I now feel that I should definitely have a go for real because it's great.
Try it out and I think you'll see what I mean.
Well, that's about all that I have got to say for today.
I am going to end with an observation. This is what always happens to me. When I get to the gallery on a Saturday morning I go through the opening up ritual. Turn the signs round, put my A Board out and switch on the lights.
I then secretly hope that I can just stay in my office and not have to make conversation until at least after my second cup of coffee. This is partly to do with being a member of the Friday Club which entails meeting all of my friends at the pub to celebrate the start of the weekend. But also the fact that six months in and I'm still not quite used to working on a Saturday. Saturday in my family was the official day of rest and from the age of 5 I have continued to make it my business never to do very much on a Saturday for the last 34 years. The observation I am making is that I always end up having the most interesting and chatty people in the gallery from 11.00 - 1.00. They drag me kicking and screaming into Saturday at the gallery. I have to thank them for this is it a necessary evil that allows me to enjoy a far more sociable day at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment